[wisb] FW: GBBC Progress Report - Off to a Great Start!

  • From: Cutright.Noel <Noel.Cutright@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 21:26:10 +0000

Forwarded by Noel Cutright, Ozaukee County
GBBC Update: We're on a record-breaking pace so far!

Today marks the first day of the 15th annual Great Backyard Bird Count! Will we
break a new record this year? With your help, it just might happen!
As of  3:00 PM Friday we have: Checklists: 2,537; Species: 354; Birds: 172,637

Our northernmost submission in the GBBC so far is from Arctic Bay, Nunavut!

As a reminder, everything you need to count can be found at www.birdcount.org
and you can count each day through Monday, February 20. Each participant is
eligible for great prizes in drawings that take place after all the data are
entered.

Don’t forget to submit your photos. We’ll post a selection of them to the GBBC
photo gallery, and every photo submitted is automatically entered into our
photo contest.

Tell us about what you see. Tweet #GBBC with your latest sightings, and it will
appear in the Twitter widget on the GBBC website home page.

And share your stories on our GBBC Facebook group. Ask to be a member, and
we’ll be sure to accept you!

Participation in the GBBC is easy:

1. Count birds for at least 15 minutes on one or more days of the count.
Fifteen minutes is the minimum, but you can count for as long as you like!

2. Tally the greatest number of individuals of each species that you see
together at any one time. Optional: Print your regional bird checklist to get
an idea of the kinds of birds you're likely to see in your area in February.

3. Enter your checklists on the website at www.birdcount.org. You should submit
tallies for each day and for each new location you visit. The deadline to enter
your checklists is March 5.

So, what are you waiting for? Get out and count!

Happy birding from the GBBC Team at Audubon, the Cornell Lab of Ornithology,
and Bird Studies Canada!