[wisb] Eagle migration

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 19:45:37 -0700

Eagle migration is underway in far northern Wisconsin.  Tim Oksiuta, Nick
Anich, and I had our first GOLDEN EAGLE of the year today amidst more than a
dozen Balds, all migrating past the Northern Great Lakes Visitor Center west of
Ashland.  Also had our first Red-tailed Hawk of the year, scattered flocks of
flyby Bohemian Waxwings and an early (or perhaps even overwintering) BELTED
KINGFISHER.  Just outside of Ashland I found a feeder hosting 5 species of
finches, including Purple and House Finch, American Goldfinch, Pine Siskin, and
Common Redpolls.  Herring Gulls have returned in good numbers with 150+ on
Chequamegon Bay near the breakwall.  The bay is still 99% iced over so not much
for waterfowl yet.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady