[wisb] DoorCo birds and ticks

  • From: "K. Hilary Ford" <khilaryf32@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Sue Peterson <suechick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2013 16:04:34 -0500

unfortunately.  Wearing your socks over your pants legs and spraying your
pants and clothes with a good deet-containing spray (keep off your own skin
though) helps a lot.  I just undress in the bathroom and check all the
clothing before laundering and get in the shower as soon as possible after
returning from an outing where the habitat - any grassy area or woods - is
likely to have ticks.  I always found several after checking the Bluebird
boxes.  The good news is that it takes them a few hours to settle and find
a place to suck through your skin so the sooner you find them after you
come indoors the better.
We just returned from checking one set of boxes at the Ellison Bay towers one
has the start of a nest.  The Ospreys were up on the towers both in the
nest and possibly copulating.  We also saw a very co-operative Cooper's
Hawk, a formation flight of some 10 Pelicans, Meadowlarks singing in
various places.

 Earlier two Orange Crowned Warblers were eating suet and Marvel Meal at
our feeders as were four or five White-winged Crossbills.  The Hummingbird
feeders and Oriole feeders are up but the wasps are enjoying them already.
 I think the Marvel meal has really helped the stressed migrants - though
it is hard to keep the Grackles off it.  Earlier on the drive to Church a
very neat Broad-winged Hawk flew over the car and was easily identified by
its heavily speckled front and wing edges trimmed black.

American Tree Sparrows,  Juncos, one or two Pine Siskins, lonely Cedar
Waxwings and lots of colorful Purple Finches are still visiting, The only
Fox Sparrow stayed one day and has not been back.  I think I hear a Pine
Warbler but have not seen it.

It was amazing to see how the ice cleared out of the bays after the windy
night two nights ago!  Today was 70 degrees at 3 p.m.

Hilary Ford
Ellison Bay
Door Co