[wisb] Door Co.: Pectoral Sandpipers, Semipalmated Sandpipers, Wood-Warbler Species, Etc.

  • From: Daniel Edelstein <danieledelstein@xxxxxxx>
  • To: WIS Birds List Serve <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 Sep 2013 13:25:26 -0500

Flattered to be birding in Door Co. through 9/10 a.m. and here's my highlights
since I began birding 9/7 a.m. (as, sorry, I just got access to a computer to
share my daily observations):
9/8/13

- Ridges Rd. ending/cul de sac:

A. Adjacent to the lakeshore here:

- 6 PECTORAL SANDPIPER

- 2 SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER

- 3 BLACK-BELLIED PLOVER (with 1 in near breeding plumage)

- 6 BONAPARTE'S GULL (5 of 6 in non-breeding plumage; 1 half in non- and half
in breeding plumage)

- 5 SEMIPALMATED PLOVER

B. At the cul de sac area:

- 1 WILSON'S WARBLER
- 1 MAGNOLIA
- 6 AM. REDSTART (of all ages classes/genders)

Earlier from ~ dawn - 10 am at Weborg Pt.:

- 1 hatch year male CAPE MAY
- 1 hatch year female BLACKBURNIAN
- 5 AMERICAN REDSTART (of all ages classes/genders)
- 2 COMMON YELLOWTHROAT
- 1 hatch year RED-BREASTED MERGANSER (near end of pier and toward town/marina)

9/7/13

- Weborg Point:

- 1 hatch year female CAPE MAY

1 MOURNING WARBLER (in cemetery across from the campground)

2 BLACKPOLL (in large white birch in cemetery)

3 BLACK-THROATED GREEN WARBLER (2 hatch year female; 1 male)

3 hatch year RED-BREASTED MERGANSER (near end of pier and toward town/marina)

- On Mink River Rd. @ Hillside:

1 SHARP-SHINNED HAWK

- Along the Nature Conservancy's trail adjacent to NP (1 mile from
High. 42):

7 BLACK-THROATED GREEN (3 hatch year female or male; 4 males)

3 BLACKPOLL

5 AMERICAN REDSTART (2 female; 3 male)

2 PILEATED WOODPECKER

Note: I heard NO owl species during my pre-dawn "owl prowl" on this day while
using iBird Pro and my portable speaker near Rowley's Bay and along the Nature
Conservancy forested trails adjacent to Mink River Rd. (~1.5 miles from Ellison
Bay).

Good birding and I shall be here in Door Co. until 9/10 through a.m., if anyone
wishes to go birding with me (?),

Daniel Edelstein

415-246-5404 (Apple iWatch)

Consulting Biologist/Bird Tour Leader