[wisb] Dodge Co personal FOY savannah sparrow, belted kingfisher

  • From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 15:34:46 -0500

Astico Park near Columbus this morning had FOY belted kingfisher. Near home
on a back road heard a savannah sparrow singing, stopped and saw him on a
wooden fence post right next to the road. Slowly backed up til right across
from him. He obligingly stayed put for a great look as he was singing his
heart out. Before I started birding the sparrows were all just "spatzys",
now I appreciate all their individual beauty. I enjoy finding birds in
small out of the way places. Today I checked out some farm ponds south of
Juneau. Was happy to find at least one each of the following, great egret,
great blue heron, blue and green winged teal, mallard, redhead, hooded
merganser, one unknown shorebird and as I pulled up a kestrel was hovering
and then dropped and came up with a big fat mouse. He landed on a wooden
fence post next to the road and proceeded to take care of it. No rarities
but many enjoyable sightings nonetheless.
Dave Schrab

Hustisford WI

Dodge Co