[wisb] De Facto Columbia Co Big Year in 2009

  • From: john romano <cajunbirder@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 15:50:09 -0800 (PST)

All birding observations were entered into E-Bird. My E-Bird summary shows that
I found 227 species in Columbia Co from 04/03/09 thru 12/30/09.

Since I did not start birding the county until 04/03/09, I missed the
oportunity to find Redpolls and White-winged Crossbills. I also missed
Greater-white Fronted Geese and Red-breasted Merganser.

The plan for Columbia Co in 2009 was to fill in some big holes in my county
list,.with missing species like Crackling Geese, Osprey, Sharp-shinned Hawk,
Virginia Rail,
Ruby- throated Hummingbird, Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, Winter Wren.

190 species were found in just 2 locations -  Mudd Lake WLA and the flooded
fields at Harvey and Wangness Rds.  This number of 190 was obtained from my
E-BIrd Reports. Going into the "Summarize My Observations" section, I selected
2009 and then the  2 locations. These 190 species came from 70 E-Bird reports
over the period from these 2 locations.

Harvey Rd/Wangness Rd's 44 E-bird checklists summary shows 107 species in all,
with 25 species of shorebirds including: Black-belly and American Golden
Plover, American Avocet,  Ruddy Turnstone, Sanderling, White-rumped, Bairds,
and Stilt Sandpiper, Buff-breasted Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher, Wilsons
and Red-necked Phalarope. Other notiable species included: Eared Grebe, Am
White Pelican, Merlin, Perigrine Falcon, Whooping Crane, Franklins Gull,
American Pipit and Brewer's Blackbird.

Mudd Lake's 26 E-Bird checklists shows 149 species that included the following:
American and Least Bittern, Red Shouldered Hawk, Virginia Rail, Common Moorhen,
both Cuckoos, Yellow-bellied, Acadian, and Alder Flycatchers, 7 Thrushes, 25
Warblers including Yellow-breasted Chat and nesting Cerulean, and Le Conte's
Sparrow.

A Trip to Pine Island netted Northern Bobwhite, Grasshopper and Henslows
Sparrow,   Bobolink and Orchard Oriole.

Goose Pond had large consentrations of waterfowl in the fall along with Am
Golden Plover, Snow Buntings and Lapland Longspurs.

Other species of note in the County for 2009 include White-winged Scoter, Gray
Partridge, Snowy Egret, Yellow-crowned Night Heron, Willet, and Northern Shrike.

One nice thing about the 190 Species from Harvey/Wangness Rds and Mudd Lake WLA
is that the first location is only 19 miles from where I live and Mudd Lake WLA
is only 30 miles away. And yes, I am mostly retired so can pretty much go
birding anytime.

John Romano
Madison Wis
,