[wisb] DNR necropsy on dead Male GHOW from UW-Madison Nesting Site Near Natatorium Gym

  • From: Phillip Billings <plbillings@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:22:49 -0500

The following was copied from an e-mail sent to an employee of the
Natatorium/Gym, today 4/13/2010;
"I have only been informed by DNR that the cause of death appeared to be
infectious.  "The owl that died over Easter weekend was said to have
died of an infection that was caused by an injury in the throat area
that became infected.  The young man that told me, said that he had been
told that it was probably caused while eating something.  Perhaps a
sharp bone or a beak punctured the inside of the throat."

My only photo that included the male GHOW from this nesting site is
number 1242 (may be # 1192 because this adult is alone, while the other
adult, the female, generally was near the immature birds) on the gallery
titled; "Great Horned Owl Nesting - Site 3", if anyone is interested
here is the link;

http://photographyinourtime.smugmug.com/Birds/Behavior/Great-Horned-Owl-Site-3/11602702_6RCin#818865543_tWCp5

*Question*:  Are the two immature GHOW's old enough to hunt?  The other
adult GHOW was not present on April 11, 2010.  Wondering if they will
make it on their own with at least one adult to hunt?

Phil Billings
Oregon, Wisconsin
Dane County