[wisb] Country birds in the City and Caracaras in the East

  • From: Schaufenbuel <schaufenbuel@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 11:10:54 -0500

Many bird species have shrunk away as country goes urban, but a few have
adapted and thrived especially along the edges.  One such bird is the
Brown Thrasher.  As a kid a trip to the wild shrubby fence lines of the
country away from my little town is where I encountered the Brown
Thrasher. Today I have three nesting within a three-acre area in and
around my yard which leads to some spirited interactions in my
subdvision.   Do others see this in their towns?
Are there any other birds that have done as well in the transition from
rural to urban/suburban as the thrasher? Bluebirds sort of but, they
need big open grassy weedy areas to feed and that limits their living
among the manicured lawns and tall shade trees of cities and most towns.

Also we were not alone in having Crested Caracara in recent seasons. Out
East there were several birds which lends to the support of ours being a
wild bird:

"And in Virginia, yet another *Crested Caracara* was apparently
photographed in /Highland/, though not found again. Given the spate of
records from the Maritimes to the mid-Atlantic last year, records of
this species would seem to be increasingly expected across the midwest
and east." http://blog.aba.org/2014/05/rare-bird-alert-may-16-2014.html

Joe

--
Joe Schaufenbuel