[wisb] Cormorants, Milwaukee Co.

  • From: Chuck Hagner <chagner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 23:24:03 -0500

Hi again, everyone:

I've been seeing lots of Double-crested Cormorants flying over Milwaukee County
recently.

The most impressive sighting was on Saturday evening, when two V-shaped flocks,
each containing at least 100 cormorants, passed over the east side of
Milwaukee. I saw another flock, containing 40-50 cormorants and also
northbound, on Sunday evening. Yet another north-flying flock made me look up
from my daughter's soccer game this afternoon.

I know cormorants migrate mid-April to mid-May, but I was surprised to see such
large flocks -- and on three straight days!

Chuck Hagner
Milwaukee Co. WI
To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.