[wisb] Re: Concordia Inca Dove (11/3)- more photos

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 13:26:14 -0500

hey everyone, just to clarify, that's WED 11/2 that i saw the dove.  missed
Carl S by about 15 mins.  thanks to Jesse for pointing out my error. It was
about 1am when i typed that..                                    --Chris
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 12:15:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [wisb] Concordia Inca Dove (11/3)- more photos
From: calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx
To: little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx

Chris - Do you mean 11/2? You may want to clarify to the list.

Jesse

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Hey everyone,

Thanks to Jenny Wenzel for updating everyone about the dove for me.

I arrived at Concordia around 1:30 ish to find Janine Polk and her daughter,
who said that the bird hadn't been seen for about two hours. They hung out by
the building while I took a quick run around the campus. Not too many other
likely spots to find it, save the newly reseeded areas by the baseball diamond.

Carl Schwartz showed up around 2:15 and the dove had not yet shown up.  While
the Polks waited, Carl and I took another spin around the campus. Upon our
return, we saw Janine waving to us and yelling.  We took off running.

The Inca Dove was sitting right at the edge of the grass along the sidewalk,
right by the street.  We got excellent looks at this 1st state record.

Everyone else took off fairly quickly, but I hung around til about 3pm,
watching and photographing the bird.  It mostly just stayed out of the wind,
hunkering low in the grass.  The bird was still sitting in the grass when I
left.

Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises

http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/

http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)

Jesse Ellis
Post-doctoral Researcher
Dept. of Zoology
University of Wisconsin - Madison