[wisb] Common Redpolls

  • From: "Larry Johnson" <lorilynnfarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 20:54:20 -0600

I guess these birds are showing up everywhere-even here in Moen Coulee
(about mid way between Ettrick and Arcadia and Blair and Galesville).  Yup,
had three of them at the feeder yesterday along with the roving band of
about a hundred Goldfinches.  Either the Galesville Snowy Owl has moved on
or I am unable to find it.  I tried diligently on both Thursday and Friday
mornings but did not locate it.  I did find a Red-shouldered Hawk in the
Beaver Creek Bottoms (off McKeeth Road) and a pair of Northern Shrikes near
Frenchville (another of the thriving communities of the Coulee Region).
Someone asked how I was enjoying life in the fast lane and I had to think
for a minute.  You see, Moen Coulee Road is only one lane.  When you meet a
car, you keep two wheels on the black top and two on the shoulder.  Four of
the neighboring houses are vacant and the other three are occupied by
bachelors so traffic is almost negligible.  My kind of place.

Larry Johnson    Moen Coulee  Ettrick, WI