[wisb] Common Merganser & Chicks, Door Co.

  • From: "Charles Peterson" <suechick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "door county birding" <doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:13:48 -0500

For about three weeks we have been watching a duck flying into & out of a maple
tree in our wooded yard in Ephraim, about 100 yards from the bay. The tree has
a cavity about 55' off the ground.  Well, yesterday was D-Day for the ducks,
and with excitement and awe we watched from our deck, where luckily we were at
the time, as the adult female Common Merganser crashed through the branches and
leaves to the ground below, with one of her small chicks doing the same. Mama
Duck quacked hoarse quacks constantly and within seconds another chick dropped,
then another, until 9 chicks were on the ground, two already swimming in our
small pond. It was all over in minutes, as the adult female turned west and 8
chicks ( one didn't survive the jump) closely followed, headed for Ephraim's
Anderson Dock, and Green Bay.
Getting them across a busy Highway 42, to get to the water, was a story in
itself. But I'll let Roy Lukes tell that in one of his columns in the Peninsula
Pulse.

We have a photo of the ducks, and if anyone wants to see the group swimming
away, please contact me backchannel.

Sue Peterson
Ephraim
Door County