[wisb] Columbia County scouting report

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2011 19:23:48 -0500

Today being a mandatory furlough day at the UW, I went to do some scouting for
tomorrow's WSO field trip in Columbia County.  My first stop was the
Harvey/Wangsness Rd. pond complex south of County DM.  I'm happy to report that
it is largely open and had lots of waterfowl.  There were six Cackling Geese on
the west side of Harvey, with a few hundred Canadas and other common ducks at
the west end, but there was much more down at the east end.  Had 14 Tundra
Swans, 120 GWF Geese, a Ross's Goose (one of the tiniest ones I've ever seen -
only a third the size of the largest Canadas there,) a couple dozen GW Teal,
Am. Widgeon, Gadwall, No. Pintail, Redheads, Canvasback, and buckets of
Ring-necked Ducks and L. Scaup.  Killdeer were everywhere today, as were
Kestrels.  Farther west, on the south side of Wangsness, there were more swans
and Pintails, plus my FOY Wood Ducks.

There were a few hundred geese on either side of Harvey north of Hwy 60,
although not that much open water yet.  I checked Schoeneberg Marsh - had a
pair of E. Bluebirds by the gate across the road.  The marsh is still
completely frozen, although there was a gull (probably Herring) cruising over
the north end.  I walked out the abandoned Lynch Rd. off Priem Rd. to see if I
could spot what a bunch of Crows seemed to be mobbing in the pines, but
couldn't see anything.  As I walked back to the car, I saw a lone Tree Swallow
over the frozen marsh.  Wonder if it was the same one Steve saw at Mud Lake
earlier?

Goose Pond, sadly, is almost completely frozen, so I assume we won't be
spending much time there.  There are Song Sparrows along Prairie Lane, some
singing.  A few geese and ducks were on the little pond north of Kampen Rd. and
west of the RR tracks (common stuff.)  I didn't find any EC Doves in Arlington
on a quick drive through.  There were some geese and a few Am. Widgeon on the
pond east of WIBU Rd. north of Hwy 60.

I stopped for a hike at Rowan Creek west of Poynette, but the trail is probably
too icy to take a group there (I was glad I had my spike-tipped hiking staff.)
Heard a Red-shouldered Hawk calling as I started down the trail, and hit a
little foraging flock right away with a bunch of Chickadees, Robins, and a
Tufted Titmouse. There wasn't much out on Pine Island, although a Blue Jay
threw me for a loop by doing a spot-on Broad-winged Hawk descending whistle
(hmmm... maybe that wasn't a Red-shoulder I heard after all...)  Had my FOY Fox
Sparrow on the way back to the parking lot.

Whalen Grade is partly open on the east side and had lots of ducks (13
species,) 3 Mute Swans and only a handful of Canadas.  Nice selection of
divers, including a few Hooded Mergansers, plus lots of Widgeon and  Pintail.
There were a few Herring and Ring-billed gulls, plus three Bald Eagles on the
east side - looked like a couple more eagles perched in trees on the island to
the west, but the sun glare was brutal.

The pond at DM & I had at least two Cacklers - south side still largely frozen,
as is the pond complex at V and Patton Rd.  The Schumacher and Cuba Valley Rd.
ponds are split - east side still frozen, west side completely open.  There
were a few ducks out a ways, but the sun was completely in my eyes at that
point.

Anyway, looks to be worthwhile for anyone who was waffling on coming along.  I
think we can pretty much count on Greater White-fronts, and with any luck the
Ross's will stick around, too.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.