[wisb] Central WI

  • From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Nov 2011 00:08:04 -0500

I was in Stevens Point for work and had some time to bird on my return to
Winona, MN.  It is bittersweet returning to the area we called home for two
years.
I first saw the Cattle Egrets off Cty Rd B.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmgold/6316917517/in/photostream

Further down the road in Wood County I saw a few birds flying and decided
to sit and see what I could find near the cranberry marshes on 173.  After
scanning the 300+ gulls (only ring-billed and herring) I was about to head
out when two whopping cranes decided to fly across the marsh in front of
me.  I'm not certain what scared them (perhaps one of the 15 or so bald
eagles) but they quickly settled down in more cattails on the other side of
the marsh.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmgold/6317437608/in/photostream/

I sat a while longer, seeing what else would be scared up with the cruising
eagles, and was surprised to find lifer black-bellied plovers along the
back of the draw down with a handful of snipes.  Overall it was a wonderful
couple of day return to the area.

--
Malcolm Gold (Winona MN...formerly of Marshfield, Wood County)
http://mcmdgold.blogspot.com/