[wisb] Canada goose

  • From: "Kathleen Petersen" <loonp@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'WISBIRDN'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 20:26:57 -0600

Hi all -

We have several ponds at work that bring in large numbers of C. geese at
times. These are joined by the occasional snow, white-fronted, or Ross
goose. Today on my noon walk I thought I had spotted a white snow goose
among the hundreds of Canadas, but I soon realized I was looking at a rather
odd-looking Canada.

This bird had the physical size and general proportion of a Canada goose,
but its coloring is what set it apart. From the base of the neck down it was
totally white. The neck and head had the normal color pattern with the
exception of the black neck/head color being more of a dusky looking light
brownish grey. The white chin strap was quite evident. The bill and
legs/feet were a pinkish/flesh color.

Does anyone have any input on this? Is this a color variant, such as
leucistic or partially albino, or is it a possible hybrid of a Canada/snow
goose pairing?

I have pictures. If anyone would like to see them please back-channel me and
I will provide them.

Kurt Petersen

Sheboygan County