[wisb] Re: Cackling Goose and Merlin Questions

  • From: Richter Museum <richter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'vbirdman@xxxxxxx'" <vbirdman@xxxxxxx>, "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 20:38:20 +0000

It seems like we go through this Cackling Goose question ever autumn! If your
goose is not about the size of a drake mallard it is not a Cackling. Typical
Cackling is a dark breasted, Western species that should occur here rarely. In
Wisconsin we have at least five documented sizes, races, of Canada Geese. The
smallest ones as pictured in Ryan's photos are the same size as the Western
Cackling. However these birds are coming out of James and Hudson Bay, hence
their lighter breasts. To my knowledge, no genetic work has been done on this
population to explore their relationship to Canada or Cackling geese. For the
most part everyone is calling them "Cackling". Many birders are calling any
smaller Canada Goose a Cackling. There are three more small to medium races
between Cackling and our resident "Giant" Canada Geese.

As for Richardson's, or Prairie Merlins, they are uncommon to rare in autumn
migration along Green Bay. They usually occur in late September and early
October, and all that we have trapped have been immature. Anywhere from one to
four birds annually. The first Prairie I ever handled was down at Cedar Grove
back in 1969. They have definitely increased in numbers. The eastern Merlins
have also increased dramatically from the DDT era of a being a rare breeder to
an uncommon city one. In eastern Wisconsin we have had birds at Townsend,
Marinette, Peshtigo, Oconto, Kewaunee with several other nesting sites along
Lake Michigan in Door county. The initial protection given Crows which allowed
them to increase and move into cities has provided many nest structures for
Merlin use. The interesting Merlins are the jet black ones, black as the
western "Suckleyi". Dark, almost black Merlins breed in BC Canada and in the
east along the Labrador coast. One wonders where those birds are from, or if we
have another dark population, closer?

Tom Erdman
Green Bay