[wisb] Butterfly count at Beaver Creek - OFF TOPIC (mostly)

  • From: <rachael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2011 18:05:22 -0700

I took part in the Beaver Creek Reserve butterfly count today, along
with Mom and my younger sister. We were paired up with three very
experienced butterfliers, who also knew their dragonflies and tiger
beetles. They were awesome! :) We counted for 4+ hours and came up with
a total of 18 butterfly species, 9 Odonata, and 4 tiger beetles. Not bad
considering it was overcast pretty much the whole time.
Here's the actual list:

BUTTERFLIES
Olimpia Marble-3 (caterpillars)
Clouded Sulfer-2
American Copper-7
Coral Hairstreak-1
Edwards Hairstreak-4
Summer Azure-1
Eastern Tailed Blue-14
Great Spangled Fritillary-1
Aphrodite Fritilarry-1
Northern Crescent-2
American Lady-1
Monarch-5 (1 caterpillar, 3 eggs)
Northern Pearly-eye-13
Common Wood Nymph-1
Crossline Skipper-1
Northern Broken-dash Skipper-23
Dun Skipper-20
Delaware Skipper-3

ODONATA
Suix Snaketail
Midland Clubtail
White-face Meadowhawk
Twelve-spotted Skimmer
Four-spotted Skimmere
Dot-tailed Whiteface
Dragon Hunter
Ebony Jewelwing
Familiar Bluette

TIGER BEETLES
Punctured
Big Sand
Six Spotted
Northern Barens

Also saw/heard a Black-and-white Warbler. (very cool!)

~Rachael Butek
Colfax, Dunn County

We do not inherit the earth from our
parents and grandparents...