[wisb] Buena Vista Saturday AM - Portage County

  • From: t ocky <timocky@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisconsin birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 15:31:11 -0800 (PST)

My daughter and I spent about 3 hours cruising the Buena Vista Grasslands on
Saturday morning. Not a lot of birds but some quality sightings:

A flock of 21 GREATER PRAIRIE CHICKENS in a bare field on the south side of
Tower Road about 1/4 mile west of County "UU". By far the most I have ever seen
at one time.

5 ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS throughout the area, including one Dark Morph along
Highway 51/39.

A NORTHERN SHRIKE on Taft Road, north of County "W". Forgot to write that
location down.

Looked for the Townsend's Solitaire at the UWSP campus twice during the weekend
without success.

Upon my arrival back in Ashland this afternoon, I was surprised to see a flock
of about 150 (counted by 5's) SNOW BUNTINGS in my back yard, cleaning up the
corn bits where I feed the deer.

Tim Oksiuta
Ashland, WI
Bayfield County