[wisb] Broad-winged Hawk, Dane co.

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2012 10:13:20 -0500

On the way home from Lake farm Park (which was kind of slow), I got to watch a
soaring Broad-winged Hawk. It was about 200 yards to the south of Goodland Park
Road. Watching with 8x, I could clearly see the buteo shape. The underside of
the wings were light with a dark edge all the way around. The top of the wings
were same tone as the back (a brownish gray, no white) but got darker out on
the primaries. The tail was short. The top was black (from the base) a wide
white band and then a wide black band. If it had a light end to it I didn't
notice it. The underside of the tail started white, then black , white, black.
The breast had tone to it ,but I couldn't see the color. Steve Thiessen
Stoughton Dane co.