[wisb] Re: Blue-winged Warblers and Lincoln's Sparrow at Lion's Den

  • From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>, <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2013 23:00:36 -0500

Jennifer,

This could well be a juvenile Song Sparrow, as Tom W. suggests, but it could
also be a juvie Swamp Sparrow -- the two can appear very similar.  The wing
panel is fairly rufous, and the breast spots seem fairly small/fine.  It's
very difficult to be certain of the ID based on these photos, however,
although in my opinion it is certainly one of those two.

Probably the most certain way to tell would've been to wait and see if an
adult brought food to it...

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.