[wisb] Re: Birds coming back after redpolls

  • From: Cathy <cmauer@xxxxxxx>
  • To: humnbrd@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 19:49:42 -0600

We have a very large number of Pine Siskins (150-200 +/-) visiting our
feeders (thistle and sunflower) daily, as they have been doing since
December, when there were "only" 100 or so. There are a few Redpolls
(less than ten) mixed in and a rare Goldfinch. Our other regulars
(Purple Finches, both nuthatches, woodpeckers, Chickadees) are much less
numerous than "normal", and the suet has barely been touched. In some
previous years, we have had large numbers of Siskins (perhaps 50-60 but
nowhere near this year's numbers) or Redpolls, but I've never noticed
such a decrease in other bird traffic. This year the Siskins are usually
here from shortly after dawn to shortly before dusk, but if they move
off for even a short time, the Chickadees take advantage of it and
increase their visits. In past years, the Siskins gradually decreased in
numbers as spring approached. I expect that will happen again this year
and that the other birds will then increase in a fairly short time.
However, as Gayle noted, this year feeding seems inconsistent or unusual
to some other people, too, for a variety of possible reasons. And this
year has been a strange bird year in many ways, so perhaps all bets are off.

As a side note to the crowding out issue: In some past years we started
with a fair number of Goldfinches in late fall, followed by Siskins,
which, if they came in large numbers, seemed to crowd out most of the
Goldfinches. If Redpolls came in large numbers, they then seemed to
crowd out the Siskins. This year a large number of Redpolls never showed
up, and we have the Siskins staying.

Cathy Mauer
Medford, Taylor County