[wisb] Backyard Birding and help with Hawk ID, Milwaukee County

  • From: Paul Sparks <paul.sparks@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Bird Net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 15:58:11 -0500

I got a little bit of time to sit in the blind in the backyard while my son
took a nap. The short time I was out there I saw lots of birds. Earlier in
the morning I counted 8 individual Baltimore Orioles coming to the feeder
and by this afternoon that had jumped to a dozen. I also had 6 Cedar
Waxwings, a pair of Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, a pair of Gray Catbirds, a
Ruby-throated Hummingbird, a White-breasted Nuthatch, an Eastern Wood Pewee,
a House Wren working on a nest, a Nashville Warbler, and some other warblers
that were too far away to identify. While I sat out there all the birds
scattered and I figured something was around, but couldn't see anything.
Then I saw a raptor go for something on the ground. I got out of the blind
and approached slowly. The raptor was large and it kept on attacking a
squirrel but not succeeding in killing it. The squirrel kept trying to get
away but was obviously hurt. I figured the bird was a juvenile and learning
to hunt because it appeared to be healthy and flew alright. There was a
silver band on the right leg but I couldn't see any numbers in the photos. I
have some photos for ID help. I assume it's a juvenile Cooper's but I won't
rule out Northern Goshawk. But I'll leave that to the experts.
Hawk;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookguy/5708266964/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bookguy/5708266746/in/photostream

Baltimore Oriole;