[wisb] BUFF-BREASTED SANDPIPER

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 14:06:10 -0500

On the way over to the 8 o'clock Kirtland's Warbler trip I stopped
along Cty D and 5th Ave (in Adams co, about 5-6 miles east of the
meeting spot).  There were over 100 Sandhill Cranes in the field and
some shorebirds in a few small flooded spots at the ne junction of
the two roads.  Almost immediately I noticed a shorebird that had the
jizz of the BB Sandpiper.  Quickly getting it in my window scope it
was a breeding plumaged Buff-breasted Sandpiper!!!  Jim Otto and his
wife were there so the three of us were getting great looks at it,
when other birders drove up.  We spent about a half hour enjoying it
with our binocs and scopes before a thundershower drove us back to
our vehicles and to the meeting spot of the warbler.
Birders on the first warbler trip were informed and they relocated
it.  Many of us on the second trip went back out there---after great
views of the Kirtland's, plus several others singing---and were able
to relocate it.  It was still there in early afternoon.  There is a
total of 8 shorebirds there that included 2 White-rumped Sands, 2
Pectoral Sands, many Semip. Sands, Dunlins, Killdeer, 6 Semip.
Plovers and a Gr Yellowlegs, in addition to the BB Sandpiper.

This is one of the few spring sightings for this species.  Hey Bob,
how many spring records are there for the Buff-br. Sandpiper?  Thanks.

Good luck if you go.  Hard telling how long it will linger.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI