[wisb] Re: BIGBY list

  • From: "Bettie R. Harriman" <bettie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: baughman@xxxxxxxxxxx,WISBIRD <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 04 May 2009 16:03:31 -0500

When you get your Summer 2009 WSO journal, The Passenger Pigeon, in late May, you will be about to read about Anita Carpenter's BIGBY in 2008. The article is called A Walkabout Almanac and was inspired by Bill Mueller's request a while back to use less fossil fuel when we bird. Anita's was done mostly by foot and some by bike - all In Winnebago County.

Bettie Harriman
Oshkosh
Winnebago County

At 09:03 AM 5/4/2009, Scott Baughman wrote:
Hi Everyone,

This past January, while dreaming of spring birding in Wisconsin, I came across a birding blog dedicated to BIGBY??? BIGBY stands for Big Green Birding Year. It was started by a enthusiastic birder from Ontario, Canada who was tired of paying $4.50 a gallon for gas last year. Basically, he started birding and keeping track of the birds he sees without the use of the internal combustion engine. In other words he birds under his own power. He walks, bikes, canoes, snowshoes, and X-country skis etc. He has a website dedicated to BIGBY, the newsletter is found at richard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx, check it out. Many people from around the world are now participating. I have been doing it since early February and my BIGBY list stands at 138 as of May 3. Most of my birding is done on my bike. It's fun and healthy and my carbon footprint on the earth has been reduced. I'm lucky enough to live in Sheboygan, which many of you know has a nice variety of habitats. So far all of my BIGBY trips have been in Sheboygan County. I am planning some trips outside the county, Horicon Marsh is tops on my planned destinations.

Scott Baughman
Sheboygan