[wisb] Arena, Spring Green area

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2012 17:23:28 -0600

 Nolan Pope and I made plans for a search for Golden Eagles. Our marginal wind
dropped to almost nothing. Bad news when looking for goldens. Personally I like
15mph and sun.
 We got lucky on Lower Wyoming road, south of Spring Green. We got nice looks
at an adult. We ended up parking right were we did last year to see one.
We didn't see anymore.
 Looking from the road , that overlooks the Arena marsh, we were able to see a
Red-Shouldered Hawk. Also 8 E. Bluebirds. On the road to the boat landing,
there were lots of birds at the the first creek. Many Robins, 1 C. waxwing, 30
Tree Sparrows, 5 Juncos, 2 W-b Nuthatches, 1 Titmouse, a few Goldfinch and 5
woodpeckers. Pileated,Hairy, Downy, Rebellied and Flicker.
 We try the Mazo area and Edmund for redpolls. no luck.
 At Cobb we were thinking that only 2 House Sparrows were the only birds in
town. But right as we were going to leave, there were 11 E-C Doves.
 We stopped at Govener Dodge SP, and got our stickers for the year. A drive
around the park got us only 4 species. But we had 2 shrikes.
Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co