[wisb] Alert! Heard that call again

  • From: paul bruce <rdjn560birdcrazy@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 May 2009 23:17:52 -0700 (PDT)

   hey folks,  came in from outside where I heard that same call again that I
heard maybe 5 days ago.  Would anyone know, from what I could tell, what
possible shorebird, or quite likely could be something else, have a clear,
metallic pink-pink call?  It's driving me batty.
  Which now raises a pop quiz question:  What bird's migration lasts the
longest, as far as days are concerned?  My first time to hear one at night was
April 17th, and I just heard some more tonight.  That's your clue, answer at
the end.

    It seems I'm in for a record smashing month.  Last night's nighthawks and
today's hearing out at Asylum Park bumped me to 157.   An alder flycatcher was
feebeeoing while listening for the Bell's Vireo, which only sang for a couple
of minutes.  Also saw a single but late Ruddy Duck out in the bay.  Nice
drake.  A sora called in the tiny marsh north of the road right near the oaks.
Other FOYs, going off subject momentarily, include monarch and tiger
swallowtails.  Really cool.
     I tried a new place Thursday.  Found out on our Vinland Rd. just south of
Snell Rd., the road that takes you to Asylum, I tried this HickoryOaks
Campground.  Bettie, have you heard of, or seen this place?  It's really neat.
A mostly deciduous woods of primarily nut trees,  maples and elm, I tied my 155
mark with an Olive-sided Flycatcher. I was ecstatic!!
  And finally, since it's late and want to hit the hay, about 25 turnstones
were the only shorebird today at Menominee Beach.  Still awaiting dunlin and
sanderling or whatever else wishes to grace my checklist.  G'night
   Paul Bruce
   Oshkosh, Winnebago Co.