[wisb] Re: Albino hawk in Walworth County

  • From: Richter Museum <richter@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "mikko.viljamaa@xxxxxxxxx" <mikko.viljamaa@xxxxxxxxx>, Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2011 21:43:10 +0000

I would agree with albino Red-tail, although a full adult male Snowy is always
a possibility. Buteos commonly eat carrion and I've seen no less than two
Rough-legs and a single Red-tail on the same deer carcass.  So will both Golden
and Bald eagles and occasionally a Goshawk.  In all the years we worked on
Snowies only once did we document one feeding on carrion, and that was a dead
carp.  Many of these species will also cache food to return to later.

Tom Erdman