[wisb] Advice for observing Chicakdee nest

  • From: Marge Anderson <manderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2010 15:12:08 -0500

Hello Wisbirders:
A pair of chickadees have been excavating a hole for the last three days in a
tree right outside my kitchen window.  I'm assuming they'll nest in there -
we'd like to observe as much as possible without bugging the birds.  Many of
you monitor nests - what advice can you share about do's and don'ts for
observing?  In order to see inside the nest, we'd probably have to get up on a
ladder and peer in - is this ok or should we just stay away?

Our first observation is that Chickadee #1 is much more interested in the
whereabouts of Chickadee #2 - constantly looking for it, once brought it a seed
for a present. #2 (smaller and thinner) is hauling wood chips out of the hole
at a ferocious speed and paying no attention to #1, who finally pitched in when
it became clear that it wouldn't get any attention sitting around.  If #2 is
absent, #1 is content to sit outside the hole and wait (or peer intently into
the hole for its pal) - it only excavates when #2 is around.  I hate to draw
any conclusions about gender and the domestic division of labor from this
observation, but . . .

We had FOY Chipping Sparrow this weekend, also FOY Yellow-Bellied Sapsucker.

Marge Anderson, Dane (and Vilas) County