[wisb] Addendum to Horicon trip today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 19:59:21 -0500

In my excitement over all the good birds we saw, I forgot to mention what was,
to me at least, probably the most unexpected bird we had.  We had just started
out on the floating boardwalk off the Auto Loop when a Red-headed Woodpecker
flew over and landed in a tree by the Egret Trail.  Definitely the first I've
ever seen at Horicon!

FYI:  in case anyone else doesn't know, the pumphouse is right along Hwy 49, a
mile or so east of the entrance to the Auto Loop.  The ibis have been in the
drawn-down impoundment just west of there.  Most of the shorebirds are a little
farther west, down by the next north/south dike and channel.  Viewing
conditions can get pretty glary by mid-morning, since you're looking south.

Peter Fissel
Madison, WI