[wisb] Re: About Brown Feathers

  • From: Jesse Ellis <calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 08:58:32 -0500

Hello wisbirders-

If I understand Marge's description and photo correctly, every black
area on the Downy is brownish. This seems unlikely to come from nest
tree staining. My reasoned guess is that the bird is leucistic in
some fashion, with the biochemical chain leading to heavy melanin
deposition in the feathers (which would produce black) being
interrupted somewhere along the line, and leaving a brown color. I
hadn't heard of this in a woodpecker before, but it's not terribly
surprising given how common it is.

Mitch's photos below are interesting too. The first DOES seem to be
some sort of bleaching or staining (in the Hairy Woodpecker). The
Grosbeak, however, looks like it had some sort of developmental
stress when those feathers came in, leading to the off-color only in
the primaries. I'm not a molt expert, but I'd rule out differential
wear due to molt because most of the feathers look worn already. If
the primaries were the only feathers left from juvenile plumage,
they'd look terrible next to his new adult set. Both look fairly worn
in that photo.

My two cents.

Jesse Ellis
Madison, Dane Co.