[wisb] AZ Trip Rpt...lions, mules, and banditos, oh my

  • From: "Seegert, Greg" <gseegert@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 16:12:41 -0500

Hello Wisbirders
I made my last major trip of the year this past week.  I assembled a list of 10
birds I needed for my year list and saw 9.  Here's my report.

Wed (Dec 3)---Near the top of Mt Ord about 60 mi NE of Phoenix, I saw at least
3 Lewis's woodpeckers.  An hour's stakeout of a corral and water tank near the
base of the Mt yielded 2 sage thrashers, a Townsend's solitaire, all 3 bluebird
spp (many westerns, a few Mt, and a couple of easterns),  W scrub jay and
several other spp.  At the Baseline Rd LeConte's thrasher spot W of Phoenix, I
saw 10-15 sage sparrows and a few black-tailed gnatcatchers.  I finished the
day in the Santa Cruz Flats area looking for Mt plover but dipped.  I saw one
ferruginous hawk and several Mt bluebirds.

Th---I started the day at Sweetwater Wetlands in Tucson.  The target here was
Lawrence's goldfinch of which I saw about 15 near the entrance bridge (killer
looks).  Also present were Harris's hawk and Gambel's quail.  Next stop was
Santa Gertrudis Lane by Tumacacori to look for rufous-backed robin.  I watched
it for 20-30 min in a dense pyracantha bush.  Although it periodically
stretched out to grab a berry it didn't move more than 6 inches the whole time
I was watching it.  Numerous other birds were also feeding on the berries
including my only phainopepla of the trip.  The Santa Cruz R was at the end of
the lane so I decided to walk along it for a while because a varied thrush and
rose-throated becard had been reported there a week or so ago.  A Mt lion was
also seen there also so I tried to look like I was not edible.  Mt lions are
roaming around SE AZ now.....Patagonia Preserve was closed all week and will be
next week also due to lion activity in the area.  As I was walking along the
pathway I encountered a Border Patrol agent on his way out.  He stopped to warn
me about illegal activity in the area.  It seems they've made several arrests
of people (mules) carrying in marijuana packs.  He said each person carries a
bag with about 50# in it.  Actually, he continued, those folks are mostly
harmless, it's the banditos who rob the mules at gunpoint that I should be on
the lookout for.  I told him that it would make everyone's life easier and
safer if Feds just legalized marijuana....plus the Feds could make a lot of
money taxing it.    His reply?..."I can't dispute that."  Anyway, I saw no
mules, no banditos, no lions, no becards, and no varied thrushes.  A brief stop
at Kino Springs didn't yield anything of note.  Next I drove to Pena Blanca L
to look for Montezuma quail.  No quail but many red-naped sapsuckers.  I
continued down Ruby Rd to the trailhead for Sycamore CYN.  I went off the trail
a few feet to get a better look at some sparrows and had 3 M quail erupt at my
feet.  I'm always amazed how small these guys are.

Fri----I began in the San Rafael Valley.  Normally I cover a lot of territory
looking for Baird's sparrow but reports this year indicate that it's even
scarcer than usual so I spent 2.5 hr staking out a water hole at the W end of
the valley.   Hundreds of sparrows came in to drink but 99.99% were savannahs.
But I saw 2 grasshopper and one Baird's.  Chestnut-collared longspurs came in
occasionally but they were VERY flighty, never staying more than a few seconds.
 From there it was nearly a 3 hr drive to Bisbee where I staked out another
pyracantha bush looking for a varied thrush that had been there about a week
ago.   A 1.5 hr vigil did not yield the thrush, perhaps it has moved on.

Sat----I had about 3 hrs to bird before I needed to be to the airport.  I went
back to Santa Cruz Flats and after about 30 min of looking found 2 Mt plovers
at the Evergreen turf farm.  I spent about an hr in Scottsdale checking out
some areas that in the old days yielded E wigeon....no such luck today.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I saw about 110 sp, including 9 year birds taking me to 566 for the year.

Greg Seegert
Deerfield,IL