[wisb] ALERT: LARK BUNTING at Mead SWA, Marathon County

  • From: bwhawk1@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: Wis Bird Net <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Terry Lane <tlane2022@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 20:31:59 -0400 (EDT)

I found an immature Lark Bunting today at the Mead State Wildlife Area
in southern Marathon County. I originally thought the bird was an
immature Lark Sparrow seeing that I have never seen an immature of
either species before. I did not have a camera with me at the time I saw
the bird, but I did get the word out to the local birders and Sarah
Sabatke managed to make it down to take photos of the bird (after I had
already left). You can see them at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/89917573@N07/with/8570635956/ I saw the
bird at the new headquarters building / visitor center along County
Highway S, approx. one mile north of the Wood/Marathon County line. It
has hanging around the grassy (lawn) area on the northeast side of the
building catching grasshoppers, and also along the east/west trail about
60 or so yards north of the visitor center. I'm planning on being here
tomorrow mourning to look for it again.

Dan Belter
Weston, WI
Marathon County