[wisb] A great day for shorebirds

  • From: C&J Heuer <heuers3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 18:19:18 -0500

After a morning at the Bay Beach Wildlife Sanctuary where we added to
our warbler list with a magnolia, bay breasted, mourning, cape may,
common yellowthroat and a female blackburnian ( also had redstart,
palm, yellow-rump, nashville, parula, chestnut sided and black/white)
we took Daryl Tessen's Bird Haunts book and headed down hwy 43, cut
over at Cleveland and went up the lakeshore.

At Fischer Creek we saw bonaparte's gulls, a belted kingfisher, and
common terns. On our walk back up from the shore we got a clay-colored
sparrow. Lots of rough-winged swallows everywhere eating the
midges(which were annoying but not bitey).

On to the F/LS Ponds. We had never been there before but thanks (much
thanks) to the Bird Haunts book we hit the motherload. Pulling up
slowly we knew there were a lot of gulls and we identified a lot of
Franklin's ( pink breasts very evident) among the Ring-bill's. Now to
the shorebirds -  dunlin's (50), semipalmated sandpiper ( 15), willet
(1), short-billed dowitchers(10), and marbled godwits (3).
Also sighted here - northern shovelers, forester's tern (13), and
about 30 caspian terns.
The birds never flew while we were there even though we inched our way
up the road to get really good views.

We finished up the day at the Manitowoc empoundment where we saw more
common terns, american coot , 10 black-bellied plovers (lifer for me)
and 24 whimbrels. The whimbrels took off at one point and circled
above the empoundment where we got great looks at their downcurved
bills.

Tired but happy,

Jeanne, Curt and Nathan Heuer
New Franken, Brown County

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.