[wisb] A fabulous time in the Northwoods

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 16:23:44 -0500

Just got back from attending my first-ever WSO Convention - other than sleep
deprivation, what a great time!  It was also my first time at Crex Meadows (I
obviously don't get up north birding very often) - truly an amazing place.  The
field trip leaders and convention organizers are to be commended for doing such
an outstanding job, on so little sleep.  The birding and socializing were both
a ton of fun, as were my fellow carpoolers (special thanks to Judith Huf and
Pat Ready for doing nearly all the driving for our vehicles up and back - I
don't usually get to sightsee and bird so much while travelling!)

Non-bird sighting:  While heading back to Madison this morning, our group
stopped at Fish Lake Wildlife Area (south of Crex Meadows in Burnett Co.,)
where Judith and I were fortunate enough to get a good look at a Fisher! (An
unfortunate radio glitch prevented us from alerting the other vehicle.)  There
also were Trumpeter Swans with cygnets there, and we saw a flock of seven of
what had to have been immature Hooded Mergansers (I believe Pat may have gotten
photos.)

Off to check Nine Springs...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.