[wisb] A Wisconsin Pt week

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2011 08:29:56 -0500

I spent the last week birding Wisconsin Point (Sept 19-25).  As Tom/
Jeff will certainly post the detailed account of Fri thru Sun, here
are the highlights for me, especially the four days prior to the
official Jaegerfest weekend.
I arrived early afternoon on Monday, the 19th.  There was a
surprising number of MN birders at spot 1.  This was due to Peder
finding a Sabine's Gull there earlier in the morning.  During the
several hours I spent there Sharp-shinned Hawks and Merlins cruised
by.  Black-bellied and Am Golden Plovers were moving over and feeding
on the mudflats in the bay. They were joined by 3 Semip. Plovers and
2 Baird's Sandpipers.  There were 8 to 10,000 gulls on the lake!
Obviously 99.9% were Ring-billeds and Herrings.  However late in the
afternoon the Franklin's Gull reappeared and then an immature
Sabine's Gull was watched heading out from the breakwall entrance.
There were almost zero passerines along the road.

Tuesday, the 20th, was spent on the Point.  Highlights include a
Western Grebe, at early light (had to wait 10 minutes before enough
sunlight was available to confirm this as a Western rather than a Red-
necked).  As yesterday, several immature Parasitic Jaegers cruised
by, chasing the gulls, frequently all day long.  Many times they were
in REAL CLOSE!  An adult Thayer's and Lesser Black-backed Gull were
amongst the other gulls just off shore (thanks to Eric who discovered
both birds).  Also like yesterday, almost no passerines were found on
the Pt.

Wed, 21st, was of course spent on the Pt.  Around sunrise I was
surprised to find not one or two immature Parasitic Jaegers flying,
and then landing on the lake, but SIX!!  I think that is the most
jaegers I have ever had in the scope at one time.  About 40 Black-
bellied and 20 Am Golden Plovers were tallied during the day, plus 3
Ruddy Turnstones, 15 Sanderlings and several other shorebirds.  A
very few passerines were found.  (For the first three days a TOTAL of
FIVE White-throated Sparrows were seen.)  About mid afternoon the
wind switched from gentle and south to northwest and 30-40 m/hr.

Thur, 22nd, started slow, with the "usual" immature Parasitic
Jaegers, etc around.  However 4 Snow Geese and 7 Cackling Geese flew
over, plus some hawks.  Then about mid day we discovered that there
was an impressive passerine flight along the road at stops 10-12 and
around 21-22.  17 warbler species, 11 sparrow species, etc were
enjoyed.  Not only was there excellent variety but impressive numbers.

Fri, 23rd, for the day had Surf (1) and White-winged (2) Scoters, a
Red-throated Loon, both Merlins and Peregrine Falcon, 4 Parasitic
Jaegers, 4 vireo species, 18 warbler species (bringing the 2 day
total to 20 species),  13 sparrow species including 2 Harris's (found
by Rod from Stevens Pt).  (For the day, on the Pt only, an amazing
109 species were tallied!)

Sat, 24th, had single Surf and White-winged Scoters,  fantastic looks
at and adult Pacific Loon (still in partial breeding plumage), a Red-
necked Grebe, 5 Parasitic Jaegers including an adult and a good
passerine flight.

Sun, 25th, had the good old reliable immature Parasitic Jaeger(s), a
fair passerine movement, and around 9:00 Jeff found an immature
Sabine's Gull straight out from stop 1.  Of course I was at my
vehicle getting a snack, so when the call went out, I raced for the
beach, proceeding to fall flat on my face in the sand.  (The snack is
still there in the sand if someone is interested.  Thankfully no
injuries)  And yes, thanks to one birder I had great looks at not
one, but two Sabine's heading toward the breakwalls.  There still was
a fair warbler movement with 14 species tallied before most of us
left for home and some much needed rest.

As usual, this was a fun time with great looks at the jaegers, etc.
This year, like the fall has been, there were quiet times, but it
picked up often enough to keep the adrenaline flowing.  For those who
missed this year, you missed another outstanding time, thanks to Tom
and Jeff, and all the other birders who showed up and shared there
expertise----and of course conversation.

Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI