[wisb] 9/29: A Very Birdy Platteville

  • From: Luke C Dahlberg <dahlbergl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:39:56 -0500 (CDT)

Today was very birdy in Platteville. I started to bird at Mound View park where
the invasion of the butterbutts has started! I had many YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS,
NASHVILLE WARBLER, YELLOW-THROATED VIREO, RUBY-CROWNED KINGLET, BELTED
KINGFISHER, COMMON YELLOWTHROAT and WINTER WREN. I then head to the UWP campus
where I encountered a fairly good sized foraging flock. Migrants here included
several BLUE-HEADED VIREOS, BROWN CREEPER, TENNESSEE, NASHVILLE, and
YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLERS, WHITE-THROATED SPARROWS, and RED-EYED VIREO. I also had
a couple of TUFTED TIMICE and a nice flock of about a dozen NORTHERN FLICKERS
foraging in one of the fields on campus. I did have the same problem as Peter
with no thrushes in the area today. Still, it was awesome to see this much
diversity after that huge cold front that came through.

happy birding!

Luke Dahlberg

Platteville, Grant County