[wisb] 5 (6, if I count last week) species of gulls in Appleton

  • From: Ari <birdhaxxor@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2012 16:26:42 -0500 (EST)

I birded the Fox River this afternoon, from 11:45 to 1:30.
Mallard numbers seem a little lower than usual, but the number of gulls was
insane. I estimated 1,500 Herring Gulls between College Avenue and Memorial
Drive. From the railroad bridge between Oneida Street and Memorial, there was a
beautiful adult GLAUCOUS, a paler-than-average young gull that MIGHT have been
a 2nd year Thayer's, and weirdest of all: a flyby BONAPARTE'S GULL. Is it
unusual to see them in the winter???

Near the bend in the River (between Lawe Street and College), there was another
large assemblage of gulls. Here, there was a GREAT BLACK-BACKED GULL and a
1st-winter ICELAND GULL.

Other birds of interest included 1 Black Duck and 4 Eagles (1 adult, 1 juvi,
and 2 second-years)

Pics will be up soon!

Ari Rice
Appleton, WI