[wisb] 2 Whooping Cranes Dane County, 3 Whooping Cranes Columbia County

  • From: Edward Keyel <dolichovespula@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2010 14:35:07 -0500

Hi all,
On my way to Goose Pond, I had a pair of Whooping Cranes on Clover Lane in
Dane County.  Clover Lane is a dead-end road, off of Hwy N (Bristol Rd).
It's the first road to the west south of Hwy V.  The three Whooping Cranes
at Harvey & Wangsness were still around as well, though quite a ways out on
the East side of the road.  Goose Pond had a pretty good variety of ducks in
all sorts of plumages.  On Ruddy had moulted in the white cheek patch, but
no other breeding feathers and was a very sharp-looking bird.  There were a
lot of geese on the south side of Kampen Rd, but I couldn't find any
non-Canadas.  At Goose Pond, I met Jim Schwarz, we went back for the two
Dane county Whoopers, which were still present around 2:00pm.

Good birding!
-Ted Keyel
Sun Prairie,
Dane County.