[wisb] 16 warbler sp. on Sunday - Bayfield Co.

  • From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2013 08:26:29 -0600

Sorry, this is hopefully my last spam to the group this morning...
Yesterday I had lots of action at my house near Washburn (Bayfield County).
Many flight calls, particularly thrushes, as birds descended around 5:45am. The
morning was atypical in that there was ZERO overhead flight once daylight
broke, but the birds were apparently down already and foraging heavily. Big --
and frankly depressing -- numbers of PALM WARBLERS as I likely had over 30
individuals and they were the dominant warbler. 16 warbler species overall,
including quite a few that sang at least briefly. Four LINCOLN'S SPARROWS and
my first migrant SWAMP SPARROW of the fall. Thrush numbers were good,
particularly Swainson's, but not much for flycatchers or vireos.

My favorite pic of the day was this flycatching RUBY-THROATED HUMMINGBIRD. It
sat 40 feet up in a snag and then would repeatedly sally out into clouds of
insects to hover and catch them. Never got a great photo b/c the bird was high
but in this shot you can see the bug just to the right of its open beak.

http://www.pbase.com/rbrady/image/152258095
Full eBird checklist:http://ebird.org/ebird/wi/view/checklist?subID=S15127217

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI