[wisb] 11 LITTTLE GULLS: Manitowoc; Friday, 13 June 2014

  • From: "Amar Ayyash" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "amarayyash@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2014 20:28:01 -0700 (PDT)

I observed 11 Little Gulls today in Manitowoc between 5:00-7:10 p.m. All were
1st summer individuals (transitioning from 1st cycle to 2nd cycle).
I was fortunate to get a video recording of 9 LIGUs swimming together, while
#10 stood in front of me on a concrete pillar and #11 in the distance out on
the lake. The birds were best seen by parking at the first pull-off lot along
Maritime Drive, north of Cleveland Ave and south of Waldo Blvd. They were
easily seen close to shore just north of the south-most pier.

About half of the Little Gulls showed lightly marked heads, and a few with
half-hoods - none had full hoods! My feeling is that with a little effort and
coordination at this site, birders can probably add a handful more.

Thanks,
Amar Ayyash
Frankfort IL
www.anythinglarus.com