[WinPrnDev] Re: Spool file font data

  • From: "Christoph Lindemann" <Christoph.Lindemann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:05:01 +0200

> a) There are two series of font-related SRT_* records: the=20
> "ordinary" ones such as SRT_FONT1, etc, and the extended ones=20
> such as SRT_EXT_FONT1, etc.
> Only the extended font records  *seem* to be used nowadays,=20
> so the question is whether the "ordinary" non-extended=20
> records are ever used anymore at all in Windows 2000 onward,=20
> and if not, what OS version marks the switchover? Or is that=20
> dependent on some other OS feature?=20

I do not know if these records are still used, but I would imagine that
they are pre NT4 SP6.=20

>=20
> b) The font-related SRT_EXT_* records actually point to a=20
> structure that for example looks like this for a SRT_EXT_FONT1:
> struct for TrueType font {
>   DWORD 2  // a type code, have seen 2 TrueType, 4 PS Type 1,=20
> 7 subsetted TrueType, ...
>   DWORD 0x8e64 //(length of font data + 0x10)
>   DWORD 0  //unsure, maybe hi-order of above length? Have=20
> only ever seen 0.
>   DWORD 1  //seems to be count of parts below, normally 1 but=20
> is 2 for PostScript Type 1
>   DWORD 0x8e54 //length of font data, or length of PFM only=20
> if PS Type 1 font
>   DWORD 0  //when count =3D=3D 2, seems to be length of PFM + PFB=20
> if PS Type 1
>   DB <...font data...>[]
> }
> These fields &layouts differ somewhat for TrueType,=20
> PostScript (SRT_EXT_FONT2), subsetted fonts=20
> (SRT_EXT_FONT_SUB1, rec format is very different), etc. For=20
> example, the 1st DWORD seems to be 4 for a PS Type 1 font, 7=20
> for a subsetted TrueType font. Has anyone documented the=20
> various format variations and special numbers (e.g. the 2 in=20
> the first DWORD shown above, the 0 in the 3rd DWORD, etc)?=20

Also here I do not know the format, but if you find out more, please
feel free to add the information to the undocprint wiki

> c) SRT_EXT_FONT1 seems to be used for Truetype, and=20
> SRT_EXT_FONT2 for PS Type1. Is that the case, or am I=20
> over-generalizing from my observations?
> Likewise, SRT_EXT_FONT_SUB1 seems to be for subsetted=20
> TrueType. Is the purpose of SRT_EXT_FONT_SUB2 known?=20

Once again I have to pass, but I would imagine that the
SRT_EXT_FONT_SUB2 would be some subset PS Type1
---
Questions? First check the UndocPrint pages at
http://undocprint.printassociates.com/winspool

To unsubscribe, visit the List Server page at
//www.freelists.org/list/winprndev