[windows2000] Re: large number of files in folder, slow lan acces s

  • From: James.E.Borchart@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 10:55:46 -0500

Richard,

I've seen this particular problem on a variety of operating systems, from
VMS to DOS to NetWare to Win2K.    I've often worked in manufacturing and a
lot of manufacturing systems have this.

The problem originates in how efficient the hashing algorithm is for the
directory:  It is optimized to quickly show a small number of files.  I am
pretty sure it won't be fast even on the local system.  My NT boxes with
>30K file count in one directory can take over 20 minutes just to do a CMD
DIR from the server console.  Scary to watch because it just stops for a
few seconds every once in a while.  Try this on yours and you will see.

Windows explorer is highly optimized in a way that makes large numbers of
files like this work very poorly.  Aaron's ideas, below, can help some.
Redesigning the storage mechanism is the only permanent solution.  Using
CMD batch commands to manipulate the files is the only practical method.

                    Aaron Dokey

                    <adokey@xxxxxxxxxxxx>         To:
"'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                    Sent by:                      cc:

                    windows2000-bounce@fre        Subject:     [windows2000]
Re: large number of files in folder, slow lan
                    elists.org                    acces   s

                    No Phone Info

                    Available

                    10/08/2002 07:22 AM

                    Please respond to

                    windows2000

Richard,

I once had a problem similar to this, but in my situation it would bring
the
file server to it's knees.  We had a large number of files, and when a
client would run a script against those files it would max out the CPU on
the file server and make it unresponsive to network requests.  There was a
MS Q article with some registry tweaks that I used, but I cannot remember
if
this fully solved the problem or not.  A couple of weeks later I moved all
the file/print services to a Win2k cluster, which was planned prior to this
event.

It's not much help, but search the MS knowledge base there is something out
there.

-Aaron

Aaron Dokey - MIS
Reid Tool Supply