[windows2000] Re: first post - Recycle Bin problems

  • From: "Sorin Srbu" <Sorin.Srbu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 09:01:13 +0200

On Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:25:52 -0500, Hazen Woods wrote:

>Running Win2K, SP2.  Recycle Bin is really messed up, probably the result of
>installing Norton System
>Works - it screwed up several other things as well.  Anyway, here are the
>symptoms:
> 1.     When attempt to delete a file, the file is deleted but get error
> message entitled:  "Error deleting file or
>folder" with message: "Cannot delete [file name].  Cannot find the specified
>file.  Make sure you specify
>the correct path and filename."
> 2.     When double-left click on the icon there is no action.
> 3.     When right click get a window with only three options Cut - Create
> Shortcut - Delete . Should have
>others including "Empty Recycle Bin"  Finally when run System Tools -> CleanUp
>and attempt to delete
>contents of Recycle Bin, get no results, yet icon on desktop still shows
>contents in the waste basket.
>
>When uninstalling SystemWorks I think I messed up the Recycle entries in the
>Registry.  Can anyone tell
>me how to restore Recycle Bin to proper working order, including the lines in
>the Registry.

I had the same problem when running Execsoft Undelete on my XP Pro.
I finally managed to fix it by uninstalling Undelete, rebooting to
Safe mode, deleting the recycler-folders, and the trash icon on the
desktop, then did a regclean. After a reboot to normal mode, the os
asked me whether to recreate the trash icon/folder, whichI answered
yes to and that was it.

Initially I tried the xp powertoys to recreate the icon and folder,
in the hope this would fix the problem, but it didn't work.

HTH/YMMV.

BW,

Sorin

# Sorin Srbu, Systems Engineer          Web: http://www.farmfak.uu.se/organisk/
# Dept of Medicinal Chemistry,          Phone: +46 (0)18-4714482 >> 5 signals
>> GSM
# Div of Org Pharm Chem,                        Mobile Phone: +46 (0)701-718023
# BMC, Box 574, Uppsala University      Fax: +46 (0)18-4714474
# SE-751 23 Uppsala, Sweden             Visit: BMC, Husargatan 3, D5:512b
#
# Public PGP key available on request.
#
# ()  ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail
# /\