[windows2000] Re: delete multiple profiles

  • From: David L.Spanne <werenomads@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 12:29:06 -0800

I would push the delprof.exe from the resource kit out to each box, then create
a scheduled task on each box to run it. Deleting profiles remotely using the
machine name can take a  painfully long time; its much faster to put it on each
box and have all boxes run it on their own. There is a switch for days of
profile inactivity that can be helpfull.

Also, you did not state whether you are using roaming profiles, or local
profiles. If the profiles are not roaming, you should be carefull with this.

If you are using roaming profiles, and have configured them to stay lean, then
I'd consider changing the reg on each box to prevent cacheing of roaming
profiles.

Delprof.exe will only removed registered profiles, and unregistered profiles
will not be deleted, and you will have to manually remove those folders. Also,
its not uncommon for the userclass.dat file to be locked, which will prevent
the profile folder removal. It is best to restart a box before running
delprof.exe or any other profile removal scheme.

David Spanne

Subject: [windows2000] Re: delete multiple profiles
   From: "Mark Lane" <marklanemail@xxxxxxxxx>
   Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 07:51:15 -0500
     To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Maybe delprof utility would work for you.  There is a switch for remote
computer name.