[windows2000] Re: about the file transferring between 2003 server and 2000 server

  • From: "Sullivan, Glenn" <GSullivan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 07:12:05 -0400

Is either server an exchange server?  Exchanges information store (by
design) appears to gobble memory, but it is designed to use as many
resources as it can, and relinquish them when it sees extensive page
file activity (swapping).

There are ways to limit it, but you're better off leaving it alone...

My $.02

Glenn Sullivan, MCSE+I MCDBA
David Clark Company Inc.

________________________________

From: windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:windows2000-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Sorin Srbu
Posted At: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 2:49 AM
Posted To: Windows 2000
Conversation: [windows2000] Re: about the file transferring between 2003
server and 2000 server
Subject: [windows2000] Re: about the file transferring between 2003
server and 2000 server

Something is leaking memory on your server. AFAIK, some of the memory is
being used as a cache when transferring files, after a while, as the
memory fills up, there is less and less memory available for the cache,
thus the performance decreasing. At least this is how I percieve this
sort of memory problems.

Did you apply all relevant service packs and patches?

If I were you, I'd get Prcess Explorer from Sysinternals, and check the
the apps and services running over a few days, and see what, if any, of
them is hogging RAM.

For example I run a diskdefragger called Perfect Disk that is a known
leaker - it starts out at some 12MB and finishes after a week at approx
80-120MB, at which point you may or may not be able to restart the
service and make the problem go away, or the computer may just die,
frozen.

I've also seen something similar to your problem after installing a
gigabit NIC in one server. Copying from server to workstation is mostly
fine with speed ranging from 10 to 170MBps. From workstation to server
rarely works, except if the server is newly rebooted (and it's RAM
mostly unused). The server is underpowered for a gb-NIC with a 1200MHz
Athlon and 512MB RAM, while the workstation is a Athlon XP 3000+ (approx
2200MHz) with 1GB RAM - my understanding is that the server can't keep
up with the workstation.

HTH.