[windows2000] Re: Why can't a user change things like her folder's settings,background image, etc?

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:28:22 -0700

From: "Rod" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
I have a new user working on a Windows 2000 Professional machine that used
to be owned by someone else. Initially she was having problems logging onto
her machine, although I created an account for her in Active Directory and
could easily log into any other machine on the network using her
account/password. I would get something called "User Environment" which
would pop up after we tried to log into her PC, saying that she couldn't due
to something or other (I cannot remember what). So then I added her to the
local Administrators group on that PC and she could log in.

However, if she wanted to add a wallpaper to her background, she is denied
from doing so. If I want to change the folder settings to show file
extensions (or, as Windows puts it, I clear the checkbox that prevents users
from seeing known file extensions), then I click on the Apply and OK
buttons, it doesn't take. And in fact if I get back into the Windows
settings I will find that everything I had set for folder settings has been
changed back to what it had been before I made any changes.

What is going on, with this machine?

Rod

Sounds like the default permissions on the C drive have been altered.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"We are successful when our bosses wonder what it is we do all day." -- Tim Mullen

Help protect your PC. Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963