[windows2000] Re: What is "Authenticated Users"?

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 13:45:38 -0700

From: "Rod" <rfalanga@xxxxxxx>
OK, I'm going to ask an incredibly ignorant question here, but it is
something that has nagged me for a long time.  In Windows, if I select
something like a folder and take a look at its security, I will see, for
example, Domain Admins (a group) has such-and-such privileges.  Then I'll
see "Authenticated Users" have such-and-such privileges.  Aren't all users
authenticated?  How can someone not be authenticated and yet logged into a
Windows 2000 domain?

They can't, however someone could build a windows 2000 box and hook it up to an unused network jack and be "on the network" however, he would not be an "Authenticated user", the "Everyone permission" on the other hand would allow this person access.

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else." -- Tyler Durden