[windows2000] Re: W2k Routing?

  • From: "Chris Berry" <compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 May 2003 13:07:45 -0700

>From: "Rick Fogarty" <rick@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>We have a 2k server that is multi-homed.  One subnet is for a private (172)
>side and the other is for a public side (198).  The 2k server is running
>Veritas Backup Exec 9.0. We need to back up a Novell Server that resides on
>the public side.  The 2k server can see all of the mapped drives on the
>Novell server.  It appears that when the 2k server is booted, it doesn't
>consistently route traffic for the two subnets.  (Actually route is a bad
>choice of words - considering we have routing turned off).  For example,
>one
>time it will boot and the traffic is correctly routed through the 198
>subnet.  Others it will not.  It appears that the OS (2k) has some
>algorithm
>to determine which subnet to use.
>
>We have configured the 172 side to use the default gateway of the 198
>subnet, but that doesn't appear to work.  A call to MS has gotten us no
>where.  They suggested monkeying with the registry to put static routes -
>but they said "we really wouldn't do that unless it's a last resort".  So,
>what now MS? :-(
>
>A call into Veritas says its a routing issue.  Any suggestions?  (I'm being
>a bit vague on the particulars but will expand if necessary.)
>Thanks,
>Rick

This sounds like a routing issue to me, can you show us the output of:

route print

So we can get a better idea of what you have set up.  Don't forget, every
machine has a routing table, even if it's not acting as a router for other
machines. (IP Forwarding)

Chris Berry
compjma@xxxxxxxxxxx
Systems Administrator
JM Associates

"All I want is a few minutes alone with the source code for the universe and
a quick recompile."