[windows2000] Video Problem?

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <crbgfblab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 16:48:25 -0700

Ever since I installed the 1GB memory, replaced the MB (MSI KT6V-LSR),
MSI GeForce FX5200 TD128 Video card and 200gb SATA hard drive, I am
having trouble with running Quake 2 and Madden 2004 under XP AND W2K!
:-(

This morning I decided to replace the video card drom another computer,
but the new MB AGP isn't backwards compatible! :-(  So I downloaded the
latest driver package from nVidia and installed it. So far Madden 2004
is running fine. At least it was earlier. Q2 is still not functioning
correctly. It will run under software mode (graphics sucks obviously),
and when I use the OpenGL drivers, the graphics are great, but the video
freezes. Almost like it's waiting for something to catch up. <shrug>

If I can figure out what it is waiting for, then maybe I can solve the
problem. I had a nVidia based card in the computer before. A TNT2 video
card and I tend to stick with one brand. Like I do with hard drives. (WD)
I'd hate to have to go out and buy another video card if that's the
problem. Could it be that the 400mhz memory is too fast? I had 512mb
PC2700 (333mhz) in it before. Yes, I know, Quake 4 is in the works and
I'm still playing Q2, but I LOVE that game! :-)

So any suggestions would be greatly  appreciated!

TIA