[windows2000] Re: Transfer User Settings

  • From: David Spanne <werenomads@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 15:39:23 -0700

I looks like you have not gotten a real response.
I assume you have a workgroup, and local profiles, and you're going to
create a domain controler (server) and a storage location for roaming
profiles. You will need to create domain accounts for each user with a
specified location on the server for their roaming profile. Each workstation
will have to become a domain member, and users will logon to the domain.
Before users logon to the domain, you will want to copy an existing profile
from one workstation (hopefully the latest and greatest, the one they want)
from the ("their") workstation to the specified server location for their
roaming profile. You need to use the profile copy function in the
workstation properties, and you need to set permissions so that that users
domain account will have permission to use the profile.
Roaming profiles tend to bloat, and have a whole bunch of issues that should
be addressed. Several "user shell folders" should be redirected or made to
not roam to prevent bloat.
Another option is profile folder redirection to the server while still using
local profiles. It gives you a few of the benefits of roaming without
actually roaming.
I hope that gets you further down the road.
David Spanne